2.1 Files Structure
At first, you need to download the package to your computer and then unzip it. The package gives you all the files listed as follows
- Data folder – Contains the “slider1.zip” file, “slider2.zip” file.
Theme installation files, including:
- sw_jiordano_quickstart_v1.0.0.zip file (The newest version) is used for quickstart installation
- sw_jiordano_theme_version1.0.0.zip file (The newest version) is used for manual installation
- sw_jiordano-child-theme.zip file (The child theme is a recommended way of modifying your existing theme.)
There are two ways to install a WordPress Theme:
- Quickstart Installation: Suitable if you have your first installation and want to get a whole new fresh site as our Demo.
- Manual Installation (including Theme Installation): Suitable if your store is full with content that you don’t want to overwrite.
2.2 Quickstart Installation:
We provides SW Quickstart package for each theme which aims to ease the installation for users. Please note that with Quickstart, all your existing data will be overwritten. Thus, if you plan to start your site from the beginning, it will help you save much time of installing and configuring.
Please follow steps below:
- Step 1: Download the quickstart package named as sw_jiordano_quickstart_v1.0.0.zip
- Step 2: Extract and Upload the whole Quickstart package to your server. It could be a folder in >> xampp >> htdocs if you’re using localhost. Or you can upload all files after extracting as this image if you’re using a hosting server. In Quickstart folder you will see the extracted folder that include all sample data
- Step 3: Create a Database for your site if you haven’t got. You can refer the guide how to create a new database and new username for WordPress.
Note: You need to remember the database name to use in the next steps
Step 4: Navigate to your website to start with the installation process
You will see the language selection page here. You can choose a language here so that rest of the installation is displayed in your own language. You can also use English for now and then later change the language.
Click on the continue button to proceed.
Step 5: Some installation instructions will be here to tell you that WordPress will need your database name, password, and mysql host information.
Please click on the Let’s go button to continue.
Step 6: A form will be showed here. You need to fill in the information and then click on submit button
Step 7: WordPress will now connect to your database and show you a success message.
Please click on Run the Install button to continue.
Step 8: Now you need to provide some information for WordPress to setup your site. This includes site title, username, password, and admin email address.
You will see a success message showing your username. You can now click on the Log in button to sign in to your WordPress site.
2.3 Theme Installation
When you are ready to install a theme, you must first upload the theme files and then activate the theme itself. The theme files can be uploaded in two ways:
- FTP Upload
- WordPress Upload
Note: If the theme files’ size is larger than 8M, please upload via FTP (File Transfer Protocol).
2.3.1 Theme Installation via FTP
To add the new Theme to your WordPress installation, follow these basic steps:
- Download the Theme archive and extract the file named themename_version.zip, for example here: sw_jiordano_theme_version1.0.0.zip. You may need to preserve the directory structure in the archive when extracting these files.
- Load your FTP client, such as FileZilla.
- Use your FTP program to access your host web server, create a directory to save your Theme in the wp-content/themes directory provided by WordPress.For example, the theme named SW Jiordano Version 1.0.0 should be in wp-content/themes/sw_jiordano_theme_version1.0.0. The theme may provide this directory as part of the archive.
- Upload the Theme files to the new directory on your host server
To select the Theme for your site:
- Log in to the WordPress Administration Panels
- Select the Appearance panel, then Themes to find the new theme uploaded.
- From the Themes panel, roll over the Theme thumbnail image for the Theme you are interested in to see options for that theme.
- You can view more information about any theme by clicking Theme Details.
- A live preview of any Theme (using your blog’s content) can be seen by clicking Live Preview.
- To activate the Theme click the Activate button.
Your selection will immediately become active.
Note: If the Theme preview is blank, do not activate the new Theme without investigating further. Your site may not be displayed correctly, otherwise.
2.3.2 Theme Installation via WordPress Admin Panel
Step 1 – Open the wp-admin panel (Navigate through web browser to the folder where you have installed the WordPress, for example: www.your_domain.com/wp-admin/).
Step 2 – Login to your WordPress Dashboard and go to Appearance >> Themes.
Then, click the Add New button or Add New Theme button
Step 3 – Click the Upload Theme button >> Choose File to import the theme from your computer. Select your sw_jiordano_theme_v1.0.0.zip file and click Install Now.
Step 4 – You have a few minutes to wait till you see the message announcing that Theme installed successfully.
Step 5 – After that, you will be able to activate the theme.
Step 6 – Press “Save Changes” to complete the theme activation.
Once theme is installed, you need to install Required Plugins to get full features working.
2.4 Required Plugins Installation
After installing and activating the theme you will see a yellow popup at the top of the page. The message says that: “This theme requires the following plugins…”, and you need to click the ‘Begin Installing plugins’ link.
You will be redirected to ‘Install Required Plugins’ page, here you will find all of the theme required plugins. To install them just check all of them. In the dropdown menu, select Install to activate them.
Note: When installing plugins, if you see a notice that some plugins have unsuccessful installation, please choose each plugin to install again. This case usually occurs as you select all plugins to install at once.
2.5 Import Demo Data
To understand how this theme works quickly and clearly, you could select to import demo data that we give you such as all pages and posts, portfolio, products, etc. This is recommended to do on fresh installs. To import our demo content, please see the steps below.
Step 1 – In the Administrator page, please go to Appearance >> Import Demo Data.
Step 2 – Please click “Import Demo Data” button.
The process will take a couple of minutes. After receiving a message which shows “Importing all done!”, please follow the next part of this document to import “media.xml” file.
2.6 Import Media file
Step 1 – In the Administrator page, please go to Tools >> Import.
Step 2 – Please choose “WordPress” to import.
Step 3 – In Import WordPress page, click “choose file” button to select file “media.xml” to upload.
2.7 Import Revolution Slider
Step 1 – In the Administrator page, please go to Revolution Slider >> Revolution Slider and click Import Slider button.
Step 2 – You will have a pop-up window like the following image:
Step 3 – In the window, please choose the “slider1.zip” file (in the “data\Slider revolution” folder) and click on “Import Slider“ button.
Note: Do the same to import “slider2.zip” file. After importing sliders completely, you could see the result like this:
2.8 MailChimp for WordPress
This theme uses MailChimp Plugin.
1. In your Administrator page, please go to MailChimp for WP >> Forms
Copy the code here to the form mark-up field in the page.
<div class=“des1”>Sign up for subscibe our newsletter !</div>
<div class=“des2”>Eoris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit.</div>
<input type=“email” name=“EMAIL” placeholder=“Your Email Address…” required />
<input type=“submit” value=“subscribe” />
You can click Here to read more about this plugin.